One foodie's guide for others to learn the must-tries VS. the don't-even-bothers of the vast culinary jungle.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

'wichcraft

Rockefeller Concourse (right by the rink)
http://www.wichcraftnyc.com/homepage/index.html

What could be more exciting than a new lunch spot opening in Rockefeller Center? Given the recent publicity of the rats in the Time Inc. cafeteria and the otherwise mediocre, at best, selection in the area, Collicchio's decision to expand his empire to our neighborhood could only be good news (or so I thought). I can think of few Manhattan locations as genius as Rockefeller for a much-needed, well-executed place to grab a quick lunch. All signs are pointing to $$$.

Despite the limited options, I do have my local favorites for indulgent, overpriced Midtown lunches. I already have my fancy salad spot, Just Salad. I technically prefer Chop't, but my office is a tad too far to make the trip on a regular basis. I am also quite committed to Devon & Blakely for soup, particularly the Turkey Chili. Thus, the only void left to fill is a sandwich place.

This picture actually gives the sandwich way too much credit...


Today, on my hopeful yet second misfortune at 'wichcraft, I ordered the grilled fontina with black trumpet mushrooms and white truffle fondue. Ten bucks, two bites, and five minutes later, I was hungry again! Not to mention, the overall taste was short of enjoyment. I am still kicking myself for leaving my camera behind for 'wich #1 (ham and cheddar with pear and mustard on cranberry-pecan bread). Insert pure black picture here. So much for looking forward to the cranberry-pecan bread.

One critical observation I noticed was, where were the snacks? Not only did the sandwiches leave room for more, but superfluous add-ons are key to this sort of upscale eatery where customers are willing to blow their cash on the extras. I once heard a ridiculous statistic about how much grocery stores make from the nonsense they strategically position by the registers. I'd like to have seen a variety of potato chips from an innovative brand or some unheard-of flavored popcorn perhaps. At the very least, they need fruit!

Don't get me wrong, I still have a non-sexual crush on Tom Collicchio, but Tom, 'wichcraft needs some work. On a positive note, I will say, I like that the sandwiches are not pre-made. That way, you are able to remove ingredients you don't want. Given the quirkiness of the menu, substitutions are a must. Where 'wichcraft needs work is consistency. On a Tuesday in Rockefeller, I am served an overdone disaster. If I go to a different location on another day, the story may not be the same. The even bigger problem, however, is the products are strange and not that tasty.

Go or No Go? No Go

No comments:

Blog Archive