One foodie's guide for others to learn the must-tries VS. the don't-even-bothers of the vast culinary jungle.

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Avra

Midtown East
141 E. 48th btwn. 3rd and Lex
212-759-8550

http://www.avrany.com/

Selecting a pre-going out restaurant always requires an extensive thought process. Many factors need to be taken into consideration here:
1. mood of the scene
2. perhaps some fun cocktails
3. food not too heavy that will send you into a food coma and completely wipe out your desire to go out (aka NEVER do Mexican)
4. simulataneously substantial enough to allow for hours of drinking ahead

This particular Saturday, that spot was Avra (Estiatorio). Melissa and I had a night out planned for afterwards, so Greek was the perfect happy medium. Shocking but I've yet to find a really good place for casual Greek food in New York. I'm still on that mission. Recommendations are welcome. For a little more upscale than a Tuesday night neighborhood feel, Avra was a winner.

Truthfully, we didn't get the entire Avra experience, because we didn't want to order too much. Melissa had on such a tiny dress, I wasn't quite sure how she was planning on eating anything. Melissa is petite, but Barbie would have a tough time squeezing into that sucker. I can vouch for everything we did have though.

A gratis three-way platter is served to all tables including: succulent Greek olives, hummus that we were addicted to, and radishes in which we had no interest. I sort of filled up on hummus. Great start to the meal! Although, note to self, I don't like Greek wine. Generalization? Yes, but this wine was so bad that it entitled me to rule out the entire country.

We started with the lettuce-less Greek Salad. The simple dish was comprised of large pieces of cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, feta. Hold the peppers and onions. After all, we didn't want to be shunned at the party. One might think, how could anyone mess that up? Trust me, I've seen it done, but not at Avra.

Spanikopita is my staple at Greek restaurants. I know it's not good for me, but I like to convince myself it is because of all the spinach. Honestly though, this one may have been the healthiest I've had. Their version wasn't at all heavy or oily. Usually, at least the way I make it, the phyllo dough alternates layers with the spinach/feta mixture. At Avra, they just had one sheet of phyllo on the top. The middle was all spinach. It was sort of a win/lose situation. I was proud to be behaving myself, but the other way is just so mouthwateringly good.

Avra rubbed me the right way. The atmosphere and menu had a true authentic charm. I look forward to a return trip to try one of their many fish selections. Most likely I'd choose to go there for a semi-special occasion, but one where I don't want to break the bank as I usually do when I have any excuse to celebrate.

Go or No Go? Go

No comments:

Blog Archive