One foodie's guide for others to learn the must-tries VS. the don't-even-bothers of the vast culinary jungle.

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Brasserie Ruhlmann

Rockefeller Center
45 Rockefeller Plaza
(212) 974-2020
http://www.brasserieruhlmann.com

Located smack-dab in the center of tourist hell, Brasserie Ruhlmann should be the ultimate trap for out-of-towners. I am sure a fair share of foreigners have accidentally stumbled into Ruhlmann on their parade of the rink, the Today Show studio, and Radio City; however, the touch of genius from Executive Chef, Laurent Touroncel, happens to make this place much more.

To give you an idea, my father once told me about a market in Paris that opens at four in the morning. One particular stall offers onion soup (they don't call it "French" in France) to the merchants selling their produce. This soup is legend to be the best of its kind in the world. Trust me, I don't get up early for much, but for years, the 4 AM French Onion Soup was on my lifetime "bucket list." Since discovering Brasserie Ruhlmann, this event has been scratched off my to-dos. To me, nothing can beat Ruhlmann's Onion Soup Gratinee (gratinee being the best part).



Truly, everything I've had on the menu is good. Even the standard Salad "Ruhlmann" is jazzed up with a memorable oregano dressing. Also at lunch, the pesto chicken sandwich is incredible. Brasserie Ruhlmann could go head-to-head with many of the authentic, dime-a-dozen Parisian eateries.

I do warn you of the obnoxious service. I guess they've gotta have it to be truly French, right? Look past the snooty hosts and constant upselling attempts, and you'll enjoy your visit. If the day ever comes, check out Brasserie Ruhlmann once the weather gets nice. They offer lots of outdoor seating--an ideal spot for people watching under a shaded canopy. After all, you'll need some shade, because you won't be able to resist the onion soup, even in the summer months.

Go or No Go? Go

No comments:

Blog Archive