One foodie's guide for others to learn the must-tries VS. the don't-even-bothers of the vast culinary jungle.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Ramen Dojo

San Mateo
805 South B Street
(650) 401-6568

What does the unadjusted San Francisco girl want on a summer night? HOT SOUP, PLEASE!

Somewhere, out in the boonies of San Mateo, hides a legit ramen spot. Ramen culture is intense in the Bay Area. The ramen cult intensity almost rivals Bikram yoga - with a similar heat level but fortunately a better smell. The line was substantial but was clearly part of the experience. Dojo vets shared words of wisdom with the newbies. One Googler, in particular, desperately warned us to play the spice card cautiously. You can order on a scale of: no spice, mild, regular spicy, and extra spicy. He advised us that regular spicy is a lot to handle and extra spicy was definitely out of our league. He clearly didn't know who he was dealing with. My brother, once a PB&J (crust off!) kind of guy, now takes down spice like a champ. Heck, he owns a hot sauce business! As for me, I was shaking in my Toms (boots would have been nice).

We started with a couple apps. The seaweed salad was not a favorite, but the boiled potstickers were perfect to tide me over while I anxiously awaited the main act.


The bowl arrived to the table and deserved its moment in the spotlight.  A beautiful sight worth photographing.  Randomness of yummy ingredients were all delicately placed to perfection in their appropriate corner. An adorable little quail egg was as tasty as could be and whole fried garlic was silky and sweet to complement the rich, delicious broth.  The pork was butta.  In fact, a little too much that I pulled off some of the fat and placed it in my napkin (shhhh). I know, a major foodie faux pas. Anthony Bourdain would have rolled his eyes, but straight fat isn't my thing + high cholesterol runs in the fam. On the spice level, I wished Mr. Google didn't psych me out! I'm a wimp - I admit it, but I totally could have at least handled Mild like a tough guy. Peter went Super Spicy (and added more red chili).  Partially to please his crazy taste buds, partially to show Mr. Google who is boss.

Go or No Go? Go.

No comments:

Blog Archive