One foodie's guide for others to learn the must-tries VS. the don't-even-bothers of the vast culinary jungle.

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Norma's

Midtown
118 W 57th St. btwn 6th and 7th Ave. (lobby of the Le Parker Meridien)
(212) 245-5000

http://www.parkermeridien.com/norma-s.htm

Hands down the best brunch in New York City! Regardless of whether I have tested every single brunch spot, I have no hesitation making such a bold declaration. The only place I've been to that remotely resembles this level of bliss is The Bongo Room in Chicago. Both are musts, but Norma's accepts reservations so you don't have to salivate over other diners while you are waiting an hour.

When you are first seated, Norma's makes the first genius move of having one of their dapper waiters walk around with a pitcher of fresh squeezed orange juice. Everyone says yes before they have the chance to realize they're going to be charged eight bucks (free refills though)! I didn't mind the sneaky move. Why shouldn't they? Other places do that with coffee all the time. Coffee was Norma's downfall, in my humble opinion. Although many consider my liking for Dunkin' Donuts coffee wussy, nothing about this sludge was drinkable. God Bless You if you are able to finish the entire $6 pot they give you.

The hardest decision at Norma's is whether to go sweet or savory. Scrutinizing beyond the cutesy names is required to determine the allure of "Crepes with Style" or "Somethin' Fruity." I made a buzzer shot call and went for the Waz-Za, a waffle filled with raspberry hollandaise sauce, a bruleed top, and fruit everywhere. I really had no idea what I was biting into, but I knew it wasn't good for me and it was insanely delicious.



My parents had the Chocolate Banana Waffle Napoleon and Eggs Benedict Florentine. My only complaint about the waffle was the failure to mention the inclusion of hazelnuts. What if someone was allergic? My dad, a hardcore sweet tooth, had absolutely no complaints and savored every bite. While all the ingredients of my mom's dish were clearly top-notch, this pick didn't blow me away like the rest of Norma's creations.

Norma's is a special destination for over-the-top, gluttonous bliss. As my dad said, "that's something I could stomach once a year." I'm already looking forward to returning next February!

Go or No Go? Go

No comments:

Blog Archive