One foodie's guide for others to learn the must-tries VS. the don't-even-bothers of the vast culinary jungle.

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Mamoun's

Greenwich Village
119 MacDougal St. btwn W 3rd and Bleecker
(212) 674-8685

http://www.mamounsfalafel.com/



Dude, I have discovered my new after-alcohol grub (and sober, too, for that matter). This little hole-in-the-wall has singlehandedly made me entirely re-evaluate my going out destinations. Knowing I can end the night at Mamoun's might be enough to make me consider dealing with the NYU infested bars of Bleecker St.

While others on our company bar crawl were tempted by greasy pizza shops, Craig challenged me to try Mamoun's falafel instead. Generally agreeing with Craig's opinions, I followed my fearless leader with enormous confidence.

I don't know why the falafel was green. I'm guessing from a lot of herbs. The color didn't matter, because the taste and texture were spot on. The tahini was perfect and just the right amount. The tomatoes were fresh and just the right size. The pita was the only component that did not score a 10 out of 10, but the other items surely compensated.

Claustrophobes beware. You'll need to join the rest of the eager folks outside scarfing down their pitas. Personally surveying the crowd, many of the guys didn't think one serving was enough. At $2.50, comparable to a slice of pizza, feel free to order more than one. For a late night snack, one was certainly sufficient for me.

Open 365 days a year until 5 AM, I expect to be back quite regularly. Craig, you are a Golden God!

Go or No Go? Go

No comments:

Blog Archive