One foodie's guide for others to learn the must-tries VS. the don't-even-bothers of the vast culinary jungle.

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Temple Bar

Cambridge, Massachusetts
1688 Massachusetts Ave.
(617) 547-5055

http://www.templebarcambridge.com

Certainly the majority of my posts will focus on New York. However, from time to time, every New Yorker has to escape.

While celebrating New Years in Boston, I spent an evening at the Temple Bar in Cambridge. Swanky, yet not obnoxiously so---this was my kind of place. Strangely, I've noticed these treasures tend to exist in suburbia but not often in the City.

Our semi-gluttonous meal began when our bubbly waitress brought us over a bread basket. I normally try my best to steer clear, but this one looked worth the vacation splurge. Cornbread always gets me. To my surprise, there was a jalapeno twist. I only had a bite and was no longer interested. To some, the jalapeno may be unusual (in a good way), but I think it walks a fine line in terms of mass-appeal.

Emily got the caesar as an appetizer. I swear I only had the intention trying a bite, but next thing I knew I polished off half the mound. Thanks, Em. The salad was a quality caesar with crisp romaine, good lettuce/dressing ratio, and plenty of parmesan. Made me think...you know what I haven't seen in a while? Tableside caesar. Granted, I'm sure if I dined at more creme-de-la-creme establishments, I could find more every now and then. Regardless, I encourage restauranteurs to bring back tableside caesar!



The entrees were the least spectacular part of our dinner. I had the salmon with mushroom ragout, red bliss "oven fries", and truffled watercress. Emily had the pink pepper scallops with parisian gnocchi, english peas, and chanterelle mushrooms in a meyer lemon buerre noisette. The only thing missing was...nevermind, they included everything.

We both had a similar reaction to all the entrees. Although we enjoyed the ingredients individually, something about the combination of flavors did not blend together. Each dish tried to squeeze in too many ingredients.




Somehow I made room for a side dish of brussel sprouts, the world's most underrated vegetable. Whenever I see them on a menu, I am compelled to order, because I feel so badly for them. I love brussel sprouts and don't understand why they get such a bad rap. Usually, once I make the bold move and insist that my dining companion try them, people are pleasantly delighted with their deliciousness. Next time, give them a shot!

So, while I will not be returning to Cambridge any time soon, nor am I suggesting anyone jump on the Fung Wah just to check out this place, I do believe it's a good spot when visiting people in Boston, especially if they are nerds at Harvard. After all, we all have to get out of the City sometime.

Go or No Go? Go

No comments:

Blog Archive