One foodie's guide for others to learn the must-tries VS. the don't-even-bothers of the vast culinary jungle.

Monday, March 22, 2010

Auberge du Soleil

Walking to our table, the commanding view virtually locks in that this place will be getting a "go." To me, all sights in Napa are breathtaking, but Auberge's terrace allows you to lounge, imbibe, and soak it all in. A privilege they are happy to provide at a pretty penny, of course.

I am taking quite a risk for my first official Napa entry. Perhaps putting at stake one of my only Napa friendships and my currently ideal living situation, I recognize my flocks of fans are counting on me to deliver the truth. To Duncan's defense, 1) he was not working the night I dined and 2) he cooks exclusively for "the fancy side."

We sat in the bar section, and I will admit we did not eat a lot. I do not have a picture of our pommes frites with aioli. My camera was being repaired due to another dining mishap at Redd and my photographer was new on the job. Honestly though, who screws up french fries??? They were like the leftover french fries accidentally added to your doggy bag when you never had any intention of eating cold, soggy potatoes.


This scary concoction was the hamachi tartare. Usually, I am a huge fan. In fact, Max, my dad's college roommate, made some over the holidays that was so amazing, I have been reliving the blissfulness in my mouth ever since! Keep in mind, Max is a lawyer and does not run a world class restaurant. The dashi gelee almost gives me a gag reflex thinking about the glob now. The texture was mysterious, and the smell was funky, too.

After barely putting a dent into either dish, thankfully Ryan questioned if I thought something was off. That moment fully confirmed Ryan was legit and sealed the deal that we were going to get along.

Fortunately, I have gained a new friend out of the experience as I potentially lose another.

Go or No Go? No Go.

No comments:

Blog Archive