One foodie's guide for others to learn the must-tries VS. the don't-even-bothers of the vast culinary jungle.

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Jadis

Lower East Side
42 Rivington St.
(212) 254-1675

http://www.jadisnyc.com/

I hesitate to tell anyone about this place, because I selfishly do not want it to become overly crowded like most of the other trendier spots a few blocks away. Since my readership base is likely not nearly that of Frank Bruni's, I think I'll be alright. Plus, I will probably bring you all here at one point or another. :-)

I accidentally stumbled upon Jadis a couple months ago. My mistake was one of those good wrong turns where you end up discovering a gem you would never have found otherwise. I have been meaning to go back ever since, but recently my intrigue became a reality.

James, the owner and soul of the business, evidently puts his blood, sweat, and tears into the operation. In the intimate setting, we had multiple occasions to interact with James, which made the experience even more memorable. Tim made fun of me that I was trying to be friends with James. What can I say? He's a cool guy.

The pleasing wine list had an abundance of impressive glasses in the $6 and $7 range! For New York, or anywhere other than perhaps the Olive Garden, six dollars is a rarity. While the selection is French-focused, my Italian was also outstanding.


An assortment of quiche comprised a substantial portion of the menu. To sample a little of each, we tried the mini quiches. I'm not positive what the fillings were, but I believe one had to be the classic Lorraine with bacon. The crust was not traditional pie crust. Instead, the texture was more like phyllo dough, but delicious nonetheless. In fact, the lighter base was maybe more appropriate for the mini appetizer versions. I'm not sure if they use the same for the larger quiche.


I ordered the duck salad as my main course. The dish was exceedingly generous, especially for the price, and topped with a profuse amount of confit and dried plums (good combo!).

I can't think of anywhere else with a more charming atmosphere. The options aren't overwhleming, but the simplicity suits the scene. Without doubt, I'd go back again and again. My vision is to sit for a few glasses of wine, get some dessert or a light meal, have an intellectual conversation, and become friends with James.

Go or No Go? Go

No comments:

Blog Archive